Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Thinking between the lines

Your brain thinks way faster than my mouth can speak. Pretty sure the reverse is also true. This fact creates a number of opportunities, challenges and great potential for disaster... or wonder! I'd like to explore that here.

For arguments sake, let's say the typical conversation is equal parts speaking and listening with some moments of silence. By definition the average conversation has to be equal parts talking and listening (assuming that every time you speak I listen )

The portion of time when I'm talking and you're listening, your brain is: 1. making sense of my actual words 2. adjusting the message based on my tones and inflections 3. adjusting the message based on my body language, facial expressions, and many other non-verbal cues 4. wondering where I'm going with this, what my agenda is 5. formulating your response or a way out of this conversation 6. considering the context of this conversation 7. wondering why I chose this shirt with those pants 8. planning your lunch 9. zone/space/airtime 10. adding to or correcting one of these points.

From experience, I know we can do all 10 with time left over in a typical conversation. Right?

Now, consider the fact that most of your time is not in conversation or reading. To be more specific, most of your waking hours are not spent in direct verbal or written communication. Which means that the vast majority of your time is spent not on incoming information. We have a LOT of time to work with.

My premise: Our minds have SO much time in between and during our typical interactions.
My observation: We waste much of that time with: 1. stories that aren't true 2. stories about our stories that may be pointless or worse, harmful.
My theory:   If we can find a way to literally take our thoughts captive, we have the potential for incredible awareness, progress and connection.

I'll stop there for now. What do you THINK??

No comments: